Sunday, November 3, 2013

Welcome November!


                                             
         

Reading in Room 17

In preparation for reading nonfiction texts, the class will focus on the following reading strategies to help improve their comprehension skills. The students will be learning metacognitive strategies to keep track of their inner conversation as they read.  Students will be made aware that a proficient reader uses fix-up strategies when meaning breaks down as they read.




                           


Stop, Ask, Fix: Student Checklist
Students should use these strategies and keep them in mind when reading.
❑ I periodically stop and ask, “Does this make sense?”
❑ I express the difference between my own knowledge and beliefs and ideas expressed in text.
❑ I express awareness or lack of awareness of what the content means.
❑ I express doubt about understanding when I am unsure or when meaning is unclear.
❑ I ask “Where did I lose track?”
❑ I identify the place where I began to lose comprehension.
❑ I use fix-up strategies when I experience problems.
❑ I reread.
❑ I read on and try to clear up the confusion.
❑ I substitute words I know (and that fit the context) to replace words I don’t understand to see if
that works.
❑ I make mind pictures to “see” in my head what the text means.
❑ I connect what I am reading to what I have read previously in this text

                                                   


In math this week students will use the base ten number system to understand the equivalent of one group and the discrete units that comprise it.  Students will participate in solving subtraction problems which involve finding a missing part. They will use strategies to visualize the problem through the use of a number line, sheets, strips and stickers, number grids as well as understanding the relationship between addition and subtraction.

For example this equation can be solved using the following strategies:

36 + _____ = 79


In social studies students have been brainstorming the roles and jobs of the men, women and children of the Wampanoag tribe by reading various nonfiction texts about this tribe.  This will provide the background knowledge to start undertaking the writing assignment. Students will write a story about the life of their Native American character from that character's point of view.

The food the people ate and cultivated.                               


The ways these Native Americans caught their food.





These people were gatherers.




They used everything in their environment to survive.

 








Please feel free to engage in a conversation with your child about what they are learning in school.



No comments:

Post a Comment